Adelphi University is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university offering exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training with particular strength in its Core Four - Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Adelphi is dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support student success.
Founded in Brooklyn in 1896, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university. Today Adelphi serves almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, New York - just 23 miles from New York City’s cultural and internship opportunities - and at dynamic learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online.
More than 100,000 Adelphi graduates have gained the skills to thrive professionally as active, caring citizens, making their mark on the University, their communities and the world.
Why Adelphi University
Here are some of the many reasons students choose to call Adelphi University home:
- Accomplished, vibrant and diverse community - You could find yourself digging for ancient artifacts in Crete or interning for a local nonprofit. Compete in an NCAA Division II championship or attend performances - or get onstage - in our Performing Arts Center. Whatever your interest, you’ll find an activity, classmates to share it with and the professors, involved alumni and community members to guide you.
- Safe and beautiful campus next door to the greatest city in the world - You’ll be walking across our idyllic campus that’s a registered arboretum. Don’t be surprised if our beloved Adelphi bunnies cross your path. Nestled in suburban Garden City, our campus is just a few blocks walk or a quick shuttle ride from the Long Island Rail Road and 23 miles from New York City’s cultural and internship opportunities.
- A rich past, moving to the future - We’ve earned our reputation for excellence. As the oldest private coeducational institution on Long Island, we continue to evolve, refining programs and courses and upgrading facilities. You can learn to write poetry or computer code, take classes in a historic building or a state-of-the-art facility, and then take what you learned in the classroom and put it into practice in a professional internship. You’ll graduate with an impressive resume in addition to a diploma.
- Big enough to matter, small enough to feel like home - At Adelphi, you’ll find a close-knit community within a nationally ranked research university. Our outstanding faculty members lead small classes, generally about 10 students per class. So you’ll get plenty of attention and support from your professors while building friendships with your classmates.
- Your home within a home - Our specialized programs offer an even more individualized academic and social experience. If you want to challenge yourself intellectually, look into our Honors College and Levermore Global Scholars program. Our Learning Resources, General Studies Learning Community and Bridges to Adelphi programs offer guidance and support that will help you thrive in college and beyond. All these programs are run by dedicated faculty and mentors and offer you the opportunity to study and interact with like-minded peers.