Bachelor of Arts (Honours) - German Language and Literature (EA) at Western University : Tuition Fee: $33,526.00 CAD / Year (Scholarship Available)
By studying German at Western, students can gain a solid foundation in the language of Europe’s most influential economy and explore the culture in which figures such as Bach, Goethe, Mozart, Nietzsche, Brecht, Kafka, and Benjamin lived and worked and in which recent Nobel Prize winners, Elfriede Jelinek and Herta Müller, are thriving.
Since September 2013, Western has offered a new program in German Language and Culture featuring eight highlights:
- Learn the German language through a multi-media, communicative approach, that focuses on the cultures of all German-speaking countries and integrates authentic materials such as articles, websites, film and literature
- Engage in hands-on intercultural experience through community service learning
- Practice German skills in specialized translation, business and conversation classes
- Expand horizons through courses on popular topics such as German-Jewish literature, fairy tales, the history of ideas, or nature and the environment, taught in English with a tutorial in German
- Develop discussion skills and build writing and research skills in German guided by one core faculty member in conjunction with specialists as early as second year in Exploring German Culture
- Investigate and analyze culture through upper year seminars about German literary, visual and performing arts, covering periods from the medieval, classicist, romantic agesto the contemporary culture of unification and integration or about cities such as Vienna and Berlin
- Choose final-year capstone experiences in research seminars or project courses, or by completing an undergraduate honors thesis
- Be challenged with study abroad or exchange and receive credit at Western
Students will begin their German studies in first year with German 1030 and graduate with a Practical Certificate in German (3.0 courses). They will become proficient in one of the most important languages of the European union through three streamlined full-year language and culture courses that they can compliment with optional half-courses in conversation, business German, translation or culture. The Practical Certificate in German will be an asset to careers in business, science, including environmental science, and the arts.
NOTE: Please note the English scores listed are minimum requirements. Meeting the minimums does not guarantee admission. Students with low English scores may be admitted to the English BOOST Program, a 9 week training program for conditional admission to their chosen program.
See More +Less -
Original price $259.50 - Original price $259.50
Application fee: $259.50
$259.50 - $259.50
Current price Application fee: $259.50